Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Reunion Survivor

(Sorry for the lack of interesting pictures, I really didn't take that many.)

Every other summer Jon's mom's side of the family has a big family reunion. This year it was held at Grant's Pass, Oregon. I, being the nice (or crazy) girl that I am, said I would go by myself to the reunion becuase Jon was here in Alabama for training and couldn't leave. Not that I don't get along great with my in-laws, but 9 days is long time to be at a reunion without the actual member of that family.

I flew to Portland and met up with my sister in law Christi. We then met up with the rest of the family and drove to Umpqua Lighthouse State Park and camped for two night. It was close to the ocean, so we were able to enjoy that one afternoon. Jons family renting a bunch of dune buggies and 4-wheelers and went out on the sand dunes. I started out with Christi on the dune buggy thing taking the kids for rides. Then, I did take my turn on the 4 wheeler. Protective Daddy Jon was not so happy with me when I sent him a picture on my phone. Hey, a little pregnant 4-wheeling never hurt anybody, right?

I started out in the three man things above. Although this trio had a little accident, but at Kailey and Madeline have a good story to tell.
This picture is actually Heidi, (she has pictures of me). Just imagine that little black dot is me. I don't understand why Jon was upset. :)
Funny story... we were at the campsite one day and Heidi, Christi, Jared, and I were playing cards. It was pretty cloudy and a little cold so I said well at least its not raining again.... DUH... of course not 2 minutes later it was a downpour.

The actual reunion was at Cascade Lodge. It was a really nice place and a lot of fun. I ended up with my own room which was nice so I could take naps or have a little alone time. They always also do fun activities which I loved at my first reunion two years ago. Well, this year I had to miss out on the river rafting and zip lining festivities due the extra person Im cooking. So I volunteered along with my Mother in Law to watch all the little kids while everyone went river rafting. Lets just say it was real good birth control...Just a few months too late.

One of the activities was a Baby Shower for Little Parker. The kid got spoiled and we got some good loot. Lots of clothes, toys, and a Pack-n-Play.


We played the infamous, candy in the diaper game. Well, Maverick was sitting in the corner and apparently no one was paying any attention to him. I looked down and he had gotten a hold of one of the diapers and was going to town on the chocolate. It was funny. A little disgusting, but funny.

After the reunion Christi and I had an extra day to spend before I flew back to Utah so we went down the the Gorge and hiked around all the waterfalls. They were all beautiful. I don't know why it never dawned on me that we would be hiking but I wore flip-flops. It was still fun though. We saw about 6 different falls, but I cant remember what any of them, except Multnomah, are named now. So if you've been there you know what Im talking about and if you haven't been there then you really probably don't care. ;)

For the reunion they always have cool T-shirts made for everyone and this years said

"Johnson Family Reunion Survivor".

I am claiming the title of "Ultimate Reunion Survivor" becuase I survived my time with the crazy Johnson clan alone.

4 comments:

princess jen said...

Yes... you were indeed awesome to come all by yourself and then not even get to do the "fun" stuff! And you were very sweet about taking care of the kids--who were really monsters. It was so great to see you again!!

Super Daysh said...

I'm so glad you came! You are Jon's better half anyways. ;) Next reunion, we'll see you and Mr. Parker! That will be so much fun- and then you won't get stuck with Kristin's crazy, screech of a child! ;)

Dan and Sara Sheets said...

girl, i so feel your pain!!

Mythreesons said...

Oh, Shannon, you are indeed ultimate reunion survivor. I would NEVER go to Jared's family reunion on my own. No way in heck! And then the babysitting... those kids were monsters, indeed. You rock girl. Jon lucked out in getting such a cool chick. Hope you're hanging in there in the humidity and all. Seems like your pregnancy is flying by (probably not to you, though!) Can't wait to see Parker!