Jon and I met on a cruise for Utah States Spring Break in 2007. We both were invited very last minute to buy tickets with our friends. Jon went with a group of his ROTC buddies and I went with a friend of mine, Kaeli, who was invited by her cousin Amanda, who was friends with Jon’s ROTC buddies. So, the big group of us, along with about 100 other USU students, ventured out on this cruise leaving from Long Beach to San Diego, Catalina Island, and Ensenada Mexico. The cruise was from 12 March through 16 March. The group of us did just about everything together on the cruise. Neither Jon nor I really stood out to each other at first. While we were in Ensenada, Jon and his buddy became my “body guard”, this was the day that we started spending more time together. That night we were at a piano play off. We couldn’t find room to sit by the rest of our group so we ended up on the other side of the room so we had some time to talk. We were talking about how we were getting home the next day. Kaeli and I were flying home and were scheduled to get to Salt Lake about 10:30 pm. Jon had driven with a few friends and he thought that he would beat me back to Logan. I told him no way and that I would bet him dinner that I would beat him home. IT WAS ON NOW
So the next day Kaeli and I were able to get an early flight and made it to Salt Lake early in the afternoon. By this time Jon was only in Vegas. I texted him and told him that I had won our little bet, and I wasn’t going to let him get out of paying up. (Because that is the only reason you date in college right? To get free food..) So Saturday the 17th, St. Patty’s Day, we went to dinner at Callaway’s in Smithfield. Going into it, neither of us even saw it as a real date, just Jon paying up on losing the bet. We had a great time, went back to my apartment and watched a movie and went to church together the next day. For the next 3 weeks we were inseparable and saw each other every day. Over Easter weekend Jon had to leave for 4 days to go to an Air Force Conference in Salt Lake. That was the longest 4 days for both of us. Really? 4 days? Now 4 days apart like the blink of an eye. While he was gone I decorated his room for Easter and gave him our “Love Duck”, which we still have to this day. That night we talked about getting married. It had only been 3 weeks so we were definitely not telling people how serious we were.
This is why we Love St. Patty’s Day. It’s always been pretty lucky for us.
14 comments:
I see why you love St. Patty's Day. So 2 of the ROTC guys who went where in my singles ward, crazy!
Haha, Wes and I met over Spring Break weekend as well. :) It's magical!
That is so cute. I met Jake over Winter Break...hmmm....Boo on me ;)
What a cute post, I love to hear how people met! I hope you and your cute little family are doing great!
I had never heard that story! That is awesome! You two make a great couple!
:-) I'm not sure I heard this story before, but thanks for sharing! Its weird to see you guys in pictures, but no where near each other. At least Jon has HIMYM pics for Parker and all the lil Tolman babies that will follow. :-)
I don't think I ever knew this! But I LOVE IT!! That's such a great story of how you met!
I remember you guys watching the movie at our house! I think it was like James bond or something. Ha. Good times
Shan this is so cute!! I can't wait to see you guys again. When are you coming down? Oh PS the first pic of you and Kaeli is awesome!
Must have been the luck of the Irish! :)
I remember talking to Jon about that cruise. I also remember teasing him when he got back because he was so giddy and secretive. I knew it was a girl but he wasn't saying much. I'm glad that girl was you! You rock!!
holy crap you look fantastic!!!! No wonder Jon snagged you!
It was fun to watch it all happen. Good times. :)
I also love the picture of your baby in your blog header. So cute!
I love this story!! It's so sweet. Isn't it amazing? It doesn't matter how long a couple has been together. . . as long as they know it's the right thing, time is not a factor. Same for us, almost!
Post a Comment